Whether you move across the street or across the country, moving is stressful. It can be an organizational challenge of a lifetime.
MOVING MANTRA: I am happy to let go of all of my worn-out, unused, broken, it was a gift, but I don’t like it, items. Packing and unpacking will be much easier; I will feel less stressed and lighter because of it!
It’s just easier to sort through the clutter BEFORE you move. It takes time and money to pack and move things that you ultimately end up purging on the other end. That ugly vase you packed doesn’t turn beautiful at the new house…get rid of it!
Purging Emotional Items
We all have those items that hold meaning. The wedding gift my best friend gave us (haven’t used it in years), first nice item I bought for our home (totally worn out), family heirloom (not my taste). Give yourself permission to let go of it all.
- If you gave a gift that wasn’t being used, you wouldn’t want that person to hang onto it. Use that same thinking when you are trying to let go of those unused gifts you’ve been given.
- When you give away, donate; even sell something you aren’t using, think of how happy you’re making someone that can use it! A a great item for a great price or free, pure Joy!
- If you continue to hold onto to the things you are not using or don’t want, it not only clutters your physical space, but it clutters your mind. Reduce your stress, release it.
5 Practical Stress Reducing Moving Tips
- Measure your new home before you move. Furniture that doesn’t fit on moving day can cause Major drama!
- Label your boxes clearly. Use a different color marker or label for each room. Put the labels in the same spot on all boxes (ex: upper left corner).
- Tape one of the labels on the outside of the room in the new house. It makes it easy for movers to place the boxes in the correct room.
- Make an essential box. Things you’ll need right away (cleaning supplies, tp, plates, wine opener, coffee maker,etc)
- Pack a personal Bag. Pack it as though you are going away for an overnight. (change of clothes, toiletries, electronics/chargers, important papers…etc)
If you are in The Bay Area, Sonoma County or Northern California contact nancykorbet.com and let me lend a hand.
Happy Move! Happy Home!